O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jul 23 08:50:54 MST 2015

On 07/23/2015 06:46 AM, David Schwartz wrote:
> My question: How in the hell does anybody get hired ANYWHERE without flat out LYING about stuff on their resume?
Resume gets you a call and sort of the foot in the door from internal or
external recruiters.  Problem is 3rd party recruiters, most all suck.
As you state, they amount to slightly better than call-center level
outbound dialing from keyword searches, most in town I save their
numbers and simply block.  It's lucrative, 15-30% sometimes they'll make
off your salary if they place you, so better than discover card collections.

I will only deal with a few recruiters I know that when they call me
it's actually something I do and know it'll be at a rate I want.  If you
want the job they call for, consider it an exercise in social engineering.

 From there, make sure you're actually suited to get the job when going
for an interview.
> Everybody is hiring for experience with the latest tooks and buzzwords.
It's the same for me in networking, so I pepper them into resumes and
such.  SDN (software-defined networking) is one of those, everyone reads
about out, wants it, yet really don't know what what it does yet.  Very
few use it, nowhere near purported capabilities, and only in specific
use cases, but they still want it.  So I read about various products,
know the hardware integration points, and sound like I know what I'm
doing if people ask.

When you can show you know at least as much as they do about it, which
is usually little, you can both laugh that no one really uses it yet
anyways and move on what kind of mess they have waiting for you to fix.
> It’s really messed up. When I go to job fairs there are mostly foreigners and older folks. And recruiters basically admitting that nobody is hiring into junior roles to learn new stuff except college grads. Everybody says they want to hire someone who can “hit the ground running”, which makes no sense to me because I’ve never had a job where I didn’t have to spend several weeks (if not months) learning their software apps first (mostly by reading the code b/c they don’t like their devs wasting time writing documentation).
I do mostly consulting, and I've had those moments you show up, and they
expect you to know everything instantly, and fix something wrong within
the next hour.  Those are sort of fun, but not a way you want to start a
long-term job.

I'd presume that really just amounts to "we code in x here, you do know
x correct?".  If they throw you some tidbit of work to fix something,
you don't need to spend the next month learning that task.