xargs guide

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jul 31 17:37:47 MST 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:43:52 -0700
"Snyder, Alexander" <alex at misteralexander.com> wrote:

> Yes!  I love xargs, because of its power, but prefer -exec because
> xargs seems to freak out with blank spaces.  I'll read today!

Thanks Alexander!

I added some content on how to get xargs to better handle spaces and
punctuation (-0 and -d"\n" for instance). And I added a section about
the document's scope basically explaining that find | xargs is an
academic example, and that if all you're using is find and xargs,
you're better off doing just what you say above: Just using find -exec.

The changes have been added to
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/xargs.htm

Thanks for your help.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21