cox vs centurylink

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jul 17 11:50:09 MST 2015

Am 17. Jul, 2015 schwätzte Michael Butash so:

> Cox support is by far the worst part of using their service.  I have an
> outage about every 3-4 years due to the sun baking my coax outside, which is
> somewhat normal, and every time I call it has gotten worse and worse.
> Usually I just mention something about ICOMS, mocking their horrible/garbage
> 40 year old green-screen internal crm everyone hates using still, and they
> get more friendly/helpful.
>
> Last time I called a few months ago about getting a second IP, it took four
> calls, the first talking to the person there I didn't think could spell IP,
> and had about the worst drawl you could imagine from Deliverance, neither
> providing help or coherency.  After 3 more calls of less utterly stupid,
> more helpful, but still mostly useless, I got a real engineer that clearly
> told me "no, you can't get a second IP unless you buy business or our
> 'ultimate' package".  He was the only person that understood what a "second
> static ip" was and I had to go about 3 levels up.

I'm amazed you got a single static IP from residential. Then again, I know
people on residential who have the same IP for years at a time, while my
static IP on the business side was changed out from under me several
times. That hasn't happened in several years, though.

> I called a buddy that works there, they shifted all support to the southeast
> (their corp is in Atlanta), where apparently the average iq drops to a
> quarter of anywhere else.  I complained on the site I was so angry, and
> actually got a call from corporate where the guy was very nice, but all but
> admitted they hire the dregs for support.  Where else do you find people to
> work for minimum wage?
>
> Sad considering I remember using, and even went to work for @home that did
> the cable side for Cox back in '98 when they actually hired technically
> competent people to support a technical service.  Even they got worse at the

@home definitely had non-tech people in tech support, from the very
beginning.

I worked with the group that started @home and ran cox tech support when
they were first running their ISP trials.

Both did have some experienced sysadmins running the show and it was all
much smaller then, so less steps to get experienced eyeballs on an issue.

Scale has changed just a wee bit since then :).

ciao,

der.hans

--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man