OT: Blocking Sites

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:04:02 MST 2015

if you have a router with either dd-wrt or one of the better commodity routers, you might be able to input those domains into a block list. you could, with some fine tuning, even block entire IP ranges (like all of china for instance). Also, if you are willing to setup a spare laptop to do this, you can use the Iptables firewall and setup the proper scripting in there. SInce that would be a lot more secure than the commodity router, it won't be so easy to bypass. you might also consider blocking any VPN tunnels as they can get around the domain blocks. One nice thing about Linus as a firewall is that you can log in and use either wireshark on a remote session or just run tcpdump and exclude any traffic not to or from your kids machines. This will give you an idea of where they are headed online. I used to do this a lot when I ran an OpenBSD firewall here on a virtual machine. It gave me the ability to monitor net traffic and see if anything was amiss. THe only issue I see right now is spending money on power to run a 200 watt drain on the electric for a computer.

-eric