Seeking recommendations for best Linux ultralights

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Tue Jul 7 10:29:09 MST 2015

I just got one, and am extremely impressed.

My new Chromebook is the Samsung Chromebook 2 (
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJGRLUY).

I use it for real work, such as development and network administration.
What I did to check it out before buying is this:

  - Open you regular desktop
  - Open a Chrome browser
  - Use only Chrome apps to try and work

The longer you do this, the better you will be prepared for making the jump
to a Chromebook.  Anything installable as a Chrome App can be added to your
Chromebook Shelf.

Some of my favorites:

  - Code Repo: Git Browser
  - Dev IDE: My Cloud9
  - Agile Project Mgmt: Planbox
  - UML/Diagrams: Creately
  - Arduino Design: 123D
  - Linux Server Mgmt: Secure Shell
  - CMS: ZenDesk

I run a full Linux server for experimentation at AWS.  It's a free tier
instance, so it works well for me to try stuff.  This instance is running
CoreOS, so I also have two tools to manage that:

  - AWS Console App
  - Docker UI

For file sharing and storage, I use a combination of Google Docs, DropBox,
and Evernote.

Finally, I leave my calendaring needs to Google and Sunrise.

Gmail, Google Docs, etc

So far, I have not missed cutting the PC cord at all.

KevinF