Seeking recommendations for best Linux ultralights

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 11:16:13 MST 2015

I have really been crushing on the ASUs XenBook's lately. They have an
interesting array of them now and most of them are some pretty sexy
machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-13-3-Inch-Ultraslim-Aluminum-Available/dp/B00SGS7ZH4
is the cheaper one i have been looking at. they have a more fully featured
version that has Nvidia 960M graphics and a 4k touchscreeen but thats about
1700 right now.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> If you are only going to use it for mail and surfing the web, anything
> that runs Windows 8 will run better with Linux on it.
>
> i3 / 4GB RAM would be my preference
>
> I think at the bare minimum I'd want at least a Pentium with 2GB of RAM.
>
> Looks like the Celeron is a dual core and the Pentium is a quad core.
>
> Here is the list of Celeron laptops.
>

> http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops?~ck=mn#!facets=226291~0~19561351,55846~0~14739528&p=1
>

> Pentiums are more expensive.
>

> http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops?~ck=mn#!facets=226291~0~14720657,55846~0~14739528&p=1
>
> I've noticed that some of the cheaper Laptops do not come with an optical
> drive (DVD) and I noticed my Dell laptop does not have a microphone in so I
> assume Skype calls are out... have not researched so I might be wrong.
>
> Keith
>

> On 2015-07-05 08:09, joe at actionline.com wrote:
>
>> What does this esteemed brain trust recommend as
>> the best options for an inexpensive ultralight to
>> run Linux?
>>
>> Probably an 11 or 13" screen, thin, and light
>> weight (i.e. at or under 3 pounds)

> Keith Smith

Stephen