Seeking recommendations for best Linux ultralights

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Jul 5 10:06:09 MST 2015

If you are only going to use it for mail and surfing the web, anything
that runs Windows 8 will run better with Linux on it.

i3 / 4GB RAM would be my preference

I think at the bare minimum I'd want at least a Pentium with 2GB of RAM.

Looks like the Celeron is a dual core and the Pentium is a quad core.

Here is the list of Celeron laptops.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops?~ck=mn#!facets=226291~0~19561351,55846~0~14739528&p=1

Pentiums are more expensive.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops?~ck=mn#!facets=226291~0~14720657,55846~0~14739528&p=1

I've noticed that some of the cheaper Laptops do not come with an
optical drive (DVD) and I noticed my Dell laptop does not have a
microphone in so I assume Skype calls are out... have not researched so
I might be wrong.

Keith

On 2015-07-05 08:09, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> What does this esteemed brain trust recommend as
> the best options for an inexpensive ultralight to
> run Linux?
>
> Probably an 11 or 13" screen, thin, and light
> weight (i.e. at or under 3 pounds)

Keith Smith