OT Cable Modem Woes

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Feb 20 20:06:01 MST 2015

I have a 1-3 year old Motorola Surfboard SB6141 and Cox. The modem and my
LAN are up 24/7. Recently, I have been loosing my connection to the
Internet. My local LAN is up (I can ping/ssh other computers on the LAN)
but I get and error message of "Can't resolve host" when I try to ping
google. A quick power off, wait 30 seconds, power on of the modem fixes the
problem. These outages are happening more frequently - daily for the last
two days. The lights on the front of the modem are not different between
running normally and unable to access the Internet.

The downstream signal to noise is 37 - 38 dB @ 14 dBmV. The upstream power
level is 41 - 45 dBmV.

I am seeing this in the logs for the modem on a regular basis after the
reboots

MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file
MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

TLV-11 - unrecognized
OID;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Do I need to buy a new modem? Is there anything Cox can do?

Thanks,

Mark