CentOS Networking with V Box

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Feb 4 08:36:46 MST 2015

I don't use Cent ever, but if it's anything like Ubuntu, you get either
a) network interfaces file ala sysconfig scripts in rh derivatives or b)
NetworkManager controlling everything, but not both.  If NM is running
your stack, than it's likely ignoring those configurations as it
contains all that in dbus and /etc/NetworkManager or like.

If that is a wireless nic, I still think the wireless isn't giving you
another address, and likely won't in all cases.  Reason is typically
wireless is meant to have a single client per security association.
This is usually controllable to some aspect. There's a reason to prevent
this - someone bridging their laptop to strong encrypted wireless, and
representing it via old wep or like I can crack with my phone.  Might
work at home, but don't always expect that to work in more strict
environments.

Does the system have a wired nic on it?  Have you tested with that?

If you want to see the transaction, "tcpdump -i enp0s3 port 67 or port
68" that "outside" interface and see if you see the dhcp packet leave
the wireless.  If you get no response, your router/ap doesn't like
another request.  If not leaving that interface, it's a local system issue.

Packets on the wire trump all, see if there are any.

-mb