Sound stopped working....

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:43:03 MST 2015

it gave me a starting point for the audio but it didn't do much. Here is
what happened:

First I had to figure out which method my system used so :

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure pulse
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure jack
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure jackd

all of which gave me a similar error

dpkg-query: package 'jackd' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: jackd is not installed

finally I happened upon:

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure pulseaudio
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...

But that didn't help any. So I suppose I'll look at the man page and see if
any of the options help:

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ man dpkg-reconfigure
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure --default-priority pulseaudio
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure --force pulseaudio
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...

Nope. Looking at the man pages it seems as if you are supposed to be
presented with configuration questions. Hmmmmmm..... I got none of that.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Todd Millecam <tyggna at gmail.com> wrote:

> The general problem with the Ubuntu graphical frontend is that it's the
> absolute end of the chain.  If everything up to it is working, then it
> works fine.  If any link upstream is broken, then it's useless.
>
> In the case of sound, the general chain goes as follows:
>
> kernel->pci or usb bus->udev rules -> alsa or pulse -> ubuntu config and
> application
>
> Anything along that chain could be busted.  My bet, pulse and alsa are
> fighting, which is usually the case.  Alsa is a direct link into your sound
> card and will accept mathematical wave functions as input and output
> sound.  Pulseaudio or Jackd is a digital mixer, so it takes all the
> applications that wants sound, mixes them together, and then sends the
> final waveform up the chain.  Check these programs and use those names to
> start your troubleshooting/debugging search.
>
> If you want the easy way to do things, try using the internal
> "dpkg-reconfigure" to just reinstall pulse, or jack, or alsa, or whatever
> is giving you trouble--kinda hard to know which from a "sound is not
> working" statement alone.
>

> As for the scanner, that's almost guaranteed to be a udev problem, it's
> chain looks about like:
> kernel->usb bus->udev rules->sane stack->application
>
> Hope that gives you a starting point.
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder what is happening! First the scanner stopped being detected and
>> now the sound stopped working. I went to the control center -> sound
>> preferences and selected the hardware tab and it says tha there are no
>> devices to configure. I then select the output tab and it says it is Dummy
>> output. What is going on?
>>
>> --

> Todd Millecam