Sound stopped working....

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 18:57:02 MST 2015

The general problem with the Ubuntu graphical frontend is that it's the
absolute end of the chain.  If everything up to it is working, then it
works fine.  If any link upstream is broken, then it's useless.

In the case of sound, the general chain goes as follows:

kernel->pci or usb bus->udev rules -> alsa or pulse -> ubuntu config and
application

Anything along that chain could be busted.  My bet, pulse and alsa are
fighting, which is usually the case.  Alsa is a direct link into your sound
card and will accept mathematical wave functions as input and output
sound.  Pulseaudio or Jackd is a digital mixer, so it takes all the
applications that wants sound, mixes them together, and then sends the
final waveform up the chain.  Check these programs and use those names to
start your troubleshooting/debugging search.

If you want the easy way to do things, try using the internal
"dpkg-reconfigure" to just reinstall pulse, or jack, or alsa, or whatever
is giving you trouble--kinda hard to know which from a "sound is not
working" statement alone.

As for the scanner, that's almost guaranteed to be a udev problem, it's
chain looks about like:
kernel->usb bus->udev rules->sane stack->application

Hope that gives you a starting point.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder what is happening! First the scanner stopped being detected and
> now the sound stopped working. I went to the control center -> sound
> preferences and selected the hardware tab and it says tha there are no
> devices to configure. I then select the output tab and it says it is Dummy
> output. What is going on?
>
> --

Todd Millecam