Chrome/chromium constantly exhausting file handlers/ulimits

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Apr 15 10:46:49 MST 2015

Just wondering if others have issues with chrome/chromium under linux
perpetually forking up to kill your system?  This has been happening for
some time, but I have recently had to switch to using multiple profiles,
and it's only made the problem factorial now.

I've read there are tons of issues with chrome requiring ulimit
increases (linux forkbomb protection), all of which I've done, but I'm
still seeming exhausting them to the point it's absurd that it should
require so drastic an increase outside of norm.

You might not even realize it at first, I didn't, but it'll manifest
itself a number of ways, including things not opening, things hanging,
dialogs not opening, plugins not working, etc.  Then I'll notice my
system in various other ways start freaking out.  Logs or running them
via cli usually shows it can't request handlers for files or libraries
to launch.  Doing a killall -9 on chrom* fixes it.

Why though, and what are other's experiences?  Google doesn't seem to
find it an issue, but I wonder if those dorks really do anything
productive with linux outside of a chromebook with 2 apps open anyways.
I can tax my 32gb of ram at times in not frivolous manors, but chrome is
just being a pig.

-mb