ot: problems

Jon Kettenhofen subs at kexsof.com
Wed Sep 17 18:56:17 MST 2014

Hello Michael,

I'm curious, did you buy this quad new or did you buy it used or is it a
work computer owned by a company?  I get the feeling that you bought it
used.

There's almost always a reason for failures and it's usually a problem
that can be isolated.  If it's a part, it can be replaced.  If it's
something else, it can be fixed.

When stuff like this starts to happen, it may be one of three things: a
loose connection or a bad motherboard or a power supply.  Apple builds
solid hardware but sometimes it gets abuse or just used in a poor
environment with too much heat and/or moisture or just takes a physical
beating - they are rather heavy.  Also quads, I believe, have water
cooling.  I have seen at least one report of leaks.  That's usually easy
to rule out if there's no leaks.

So where to begin?  Well, the pedant is back!

You may want to take some anti-static electricity precautions.  First,
disconnect the Mac completely from all exterior cords, wires, etc.  Lay
it on its side where there is plenty of light, a clean worktop area and
a Phillips screwdriver.  As you have seen, it's easily taken apart, at
least the easy pieces need only your hands.  Pull the fans out, take the
video and other cards out, unhinge and pull the memory sticks out and so
on until you are puzzled how to get the cooling shrouds out. (Don't do
that.) Inspect everything.  Look for any corrosion.  Remove as much dirt
and dust as you can with an air duster can (take care here, the these
cans may contain hydrocarbons that are flammable and they should not be
inhaled!).  If you use an air compressor, be gentle and use lower
pressure less than 40psi.  What you can't get out with air, start with a
clean microfiber cloth and wipe without generating static (i.e. don't
rub hard).  Make sure all the connectors are clean and shiny before
reassembling.

We call this clean and re-seat the boards.

Make sure you put the same memory sticks back into the same slots - it
usually matters or makes a difference.  If you don't remember, read up
on it from a manual, usually online at Apple.com.

Memory sticks are tricky because they often won't reseat properly
without strong pressure.  First, make sure the middle slot on the memory
stick is lined up with the ridge in the bottom of the connector.  The
slots are offset from the middle on purpose, they are only supposed to
go in one way.  (Having burned out a memory stick by forcing it in
backwards, I can speak from experience! Won't do that again!) The way to
handle this is to use two hands, with thumbs or your choice of fingers
at each end of the board. Making sure the stick is aligned correctly in
the connector; push FIRMLY down until both ends of the connector snap
into the stick.  Main logic boards are epoxy and embedded fiber, are
very strong and can take a little flexing without
hurting them.  Same with memory sticks.

Make sure the memory is seated well - it may take close inspection with
a flashlight.  If the sticks are all the same size, then no stick should
be higher than the lowest one.

OK, reassemble the computer.

Testing the power supply can be difficult.  It's easier with a common
desktop PC because the power connector is almost always on top of the
board and easily accessible.  It's not enough to test a power supply out
of the computer because it won't be under load.

Here's how an expert taught me to test the power supply on a desktop PC
(but not a Dell!)  Take a meter and set it to DC volts.  There will be a
pair of test leads with pointed ends to poke at things.

You will push the points into the connector until it connects to the
metal of the connector sleeve.  Connect the common lead to a black
wire's connector.  Test all the colored wires with the positive (usually
red) meter probe. Here are the correct voltages for a PC:

Yellow		+12 Volts
Red		+5  Volts
Purple		+5  Volts
Orange		+3.3Volts
Green		don't test; this turns on the PC when shorted to black
White		-5  Volts
Blue		-12 Volts
Gray	I think this one is for the power-is-on LED
Brown   Not sure about this one

The important thing is that the voltages are nearly correct when the
computer is powered on because that shows the power supply to be good
when under a load.

One other thing - sometimes a part can acquire a static charge which
won't dissipate properly.  The only remedy for this is to wait until it
discharges (unless you are a motherboard repair person).

Things that have hurt my equipment is usually near lightning strikes.
Lost one treasured Mac to a lightning strike that hit the phone lines.
Took out phones for three stories above me.  Mac did not fail right away
but eventually lost it  (sniff :( ).   Lightning strikes across the
strike have taken out a couple ethernet ports over the years even though
my equipment has always been on a UPS.  Strong strike will generate an
EMP which is sometimes picked up by a network wire of a resonant length.
  Usually, though, it's not serious but if the storm is bad, we'll turn
off the electronics until it's past.

I apologize for the length of this, but you get the idea of the lengths
I go to fix things.

Best of Luck and let me know how it turns out if you have the time,
As always, take care.
Jon