Installfest related question

Stephen M smelheim85 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:27:50 MST 2014

Harold,
This decision is up to what you would like to do.  Dual booting Windows and
CentOS will not affect your ability to remote into your computer while
offsite.  The risk of security is no different if you just at CentOS
running honestly. Any computer can be riddled with all sorts of malicious
software.

The thing you want to concentrate on is the hardware of the computer.
Myself, I could dual boot my Wins 7 system but I have 2 HDDs so I don't
mind.  I have ISOs of WINs7 also and virtualize that envirorment to learn
the system w/out dual booting.  The other thing to consider is that with
dual boot, you will have to restart you computer each time you want to go
into the other system.  Use VBox, VMPlayer, or HyperV if you wanted will
allow you to stay in one system and create a guest OS.

When you come to the Installfest on the 20th down in Chandler.  A lot of
people will be there and you can ask in-person because everyone will have
different options.  Some might even have the ability to show you the
difference on their own computers.

Hope thats enough to get you started thinking about what direction you want
to go.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Harold <iscreamkid at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I am looking forward to the delivery of a new PC, which has Win 7
> installed on it.
>
> I would like to bring it to the Sept 20 installfest for advice and
> assistance in setting the machine up with the latest version Centos 64-bit
> system.
>
> I would like to be able to run Win 7 either in a VM or as dual boot.
>
> I haven't had a Windows system for quite a number of years and I know some
> changes have been made.
>
> If I boot the system and test (play around with it) will I be compromising
> my ultimate goal by having Win tie into the motherboard, or calling home or
> some such system change that will prevent setting up dual boot or getting a
> copy of the system for use in a VM environment?
>
> My goal for the Win system, in addition to learning what changes have been
> made since XP will be to run Minecraft and the Garmin GPS update program.
>
> Sorry if this is too long and confused, but at the moment I am a bit
> confused.
>
> Harold
>

> On 09/04/2014 10:00 AM, jill wrote:
>
> This Saturday's Installfest has moved!  UAT has some conflicting
> scheduling this fall so Gangplank in Chandler has kindly agreed to host for
> these dates.  Updated event info:
>
> http://phxlinux.org/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2014/09/06/1242112/-/moved-linux-installfest.html
> <http://phxlinux.org/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2014/09/06/1242112/-/moved-linux-installfest.html?Itemid=1&filter_reset=1>
>
> The Installfest will be at Gangplank on:
> 9/6
> 9/20
> 10/18
>
> We'll have regular Installfest hours of 10am - 4pm.
>
> Gangplank is located at 260 S Arizona Ave Chandler, AZ 85224, which is the
> NW corner of Arizona Ave and Frye.  There is a free public parking garage
> across the street, with a crosswalk leading from the garage to our doorstep.
> http://gangplankhq.com/wp-content/uploads/GPParking-1.jpg
>

> -Jill

Stephen Melheim
602-400-7707