(OT) Questions About SSDs for a Laptop

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Sep 5 06:10:36 MST 2014

Raid 1 is simply giving you redundancy.  When, not if, it breaks,
theoretically both shouldn't fail.  I have heard of instances where
masses of drives in a dc all purchased the same time began all failing,
taking out clusters as more than 1 disk was dying without any hot
standby, etc.

LVM is giving you flexibility.  I don't fully preprovision all the space
on the disk, but I do give it to lvm in the form of a physical volume.
I then create raid, var, var/log, usr, home, whatever at a certain
size.  If I outgrow one, I do an lvextend, add data, resize2fs to grow
the ext partition, and done.  Usually I end up only growing home, var,
or my ext0 that I use for a dump of vm images and my opt directory
symlinks there.

Shouldn't matter as long as they're comparable, ie. both like samsung 840's.

Here's what my config looks like in use:

mb at hostname ~ $ lsblk
NAME                               MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                                  8:0    0   477G  0 disk
├─sda1                               8:1    0   250M  0 part
│ └─md127                            9:127  0 249.8M  0 raid1 /boot
└─sda2                               8:2    0 476.7G  0 part
   └─md126                            9:126  0 476.6G  0 raid1
     └─spv0 (dm-0)                  252:0    0 476.6G  0 crypt
       ├─hostname--vg0-root0 (dm-1)   252:1    0     3G  0 lvm   /
       ├─hostname--vg0-swap0 (dm-2)   252:2    0     3G  0 lvm [SWAP]
       ├─hostname--vg0-usr0 (dm-3)    252:3    0     9G  0 lvm /usr
       ├─hostname--vg0-var0 (dm-4)    252:4    0     3G  0 lvm /var
       ├─hostname--vg0-varlog0 (dm-5) 252:5    0     1G  0 lvm /var/log
       ├─hostname--vg0-home0 (dm-6)   252:6    0    64G  0 lvm /home
       └─hostname--vg0-ext0 (dm-7)    252:7    0   128G  0 lvm /mnt/ext0
sdb                                  8:16   0   477G  0 disk
├─sdb1                               8:17   0   250M  0 part
│ └─md127                            9:127  0 249.8M  0 raid1 /boot
└─sdb2                               8:18   0 476.7G  0 part
   └─md126                            9:126  0 476.6G  0 raid1
     └─spv0 (dm-0)                  252:0    0 476.6G  0 crypt
       ├─hostname--vg0-root0 (dm-1)   252:1    0     3G  0 lvm   /
       ├─hostname--vg0-swap0 (dm-2)   252:2    0     3G  0 lvm [SWAP]
       ├─hostname--vg0-usr0 (dm-3)    252:3    0     9G  0 lvm /usr
       ├─hostname--vg0-var0 (dm-4)    252:4    0     3G  0 lvm /var
       ├─hostname--vg0-varlog0 (dm-5) 252:5    0     1G  0 lvm /var/log
       ├─hostname--vg0-home0 (dm-6)   252:6    0    64G  0 lvm /home
       └─hostname--vg0-ext0 (dm-7)    252:7    0   128G  0 lvm /mnt/ext0

-mb