(OT) Questions About SSDs for a Laptop

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Sep 4 10:19:41 MST 2014

Michael,

Thanks again for your comments, they are very helpful. I have been googling
RAID1 and LVM and finding lots of good information.

I really like your idea of a RAID1 for the two SSDs. Does it matter if one
is msata and one is not?

I am trying to decide on the merits of using LVM with the RAID1, since I
only have 1 disk and I normally don't partition it so I don't have to worry
about running our of space until the disk is almost full. Could you explain
to me the benefit of using LVM + RAID1 for these two drives? How would you
partition the drives? My current drive has about 420 GB of data in /home,
about 9GB in /opt, and some misc stuff in /var, all of which I need to
transfer that to the new system.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. One benefit of using both LVM and RAID1 is learning something new! ;)