(OT) Questions About SSDs for a Laptop

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Tue Sep 2 10:34:44 MST 2014

Consider a hybrid drive, made by Seagate.

They have a cache (4, 8, or 16GB) that acts like an SSD, and they say you get 90% of the performance of SSDs. I’ve used them in the past on Mac Mini’s and they really make a HUGE difference in performane over a regular drive.

Apple’s hybrid drives are similar, but you need their disk manager to properly work with them. Otherwise, they look like two separate drives — a small SSD and a larger spinning drive. The Seagate drives only look like one device.

I’ve got a MacBook Pro with a large SSD on it. It kicks ass! I find that I get extremely impatient now any time I’m working with a machine that doesn’t have a hybrid or SSD drive in it. The difference in performance is striking.

You still want to backup your drives periodically — it has nothing to do with the reliability of SSDs. You’re far more likely to have your machine stolen than to have the drive fail. In which case, a backup onboard is useless.

USB 3.0 is extremely fast, backing up 60 GB in minutes. So get one of them and backup regularly.

-David