(OT) Questions About SSDs for a Laptop

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Sep 2 10:23:19 MST 2014

I am looking at a new Linux laptop, and I have the option of a mSata SSD
drive or a conventional drive. I am considering a 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO
mSata SSD for the OS and all my partitions.

1. Are there any reasons not to use a SSD for the full disk, as opposed to
just for the OS? Other than saving money, as a small SSD would cost a lot
less!

2. I have seen recommendations on the net to backup the drive to a spinning
drive. The laptop has a couple of bays, so I could put a back up drive in
one of the bays. Does this make sense, or have SSDs matured enough that
they will last like a spinning drive?

3. Anything else I should be aware of when moving to the world of SSDs?

Thanks,

Mark