How smart is S.M.A.R.T.?

Wayne Davis waydavis at centurylink.net
Sat Oct 18 08:19:12 MST 2014

It has been my experience that Seagate, and ONLY Seagate drives
eventually suffer from "Sticktion".   BBS runners from back in the day
are WELL aware of this phenomenon.
Further, PERSONALLY, I've had VERY bad luck with Seagate.   They didn't
fail gracefully, with warning.  Boot today, Tits Up tomorrow.

Unfortunately maybe, (I) just replaced MY primary data drive with a
high-end Hitachi 4 TB.  I replace this drive every 4 Years MAX, even if
it appears to work fine.
The Hitachi was purchased because I have them in a some laptops and they
have performed quite well.

MY _favorite_ _has_ long been Maxtor but I'm SURE someone will say they
suck too. Them, and nearly every other too.   You know the saying:
"Opinions are like....  Everyone has one" The topic, is quite
subjective.   Like everything, the top dog never remains static so for
ME it may be time to re-evaluate also. Look at HP printers and Brother.
HP was top, NOW I think Brother is WAYYY better.

If anyone here on the list works in a data center.  They would know
first person about drive deaths, but being a data center, they'll more
than likely use only enterprise class drives, which as we all know are
levels above the stuff in a typical home system.  Like everything, cars,
blenders, etc,  there are certain models from each manufacturer that are
garbage. *(I) would tend to take advise from someone who uses
NON-enterprise drives over years **_and_**en-mass. **If anyone here on
the list qualifies, I TOO would like to hear what **_you_**have to say
since you are literally on the front-lines.**
*