server monitoring scripts for shared hosting?

Lisa Kachold foobar at it-clowns.com
Sat Nov 22 15:24:25 MST 2014

You can use this tool to recognize and search CSV's for exploits and
advisories:  http://cvechecker.sourceforge.net/

Of course, I would also look for new files or changed files (and this
doesn't require tripwaire):

https://github.com/gruntjs/grunt-contrib-watch - run tasks when files
change (like email yourself or tar them up and move to a directory outside
of webroot).

You can instantly audit all of your current installed web versions with a
simple scheduled search of the SecurityTracker site (either manually or via
a script emailing you the output of curl/wget ):
http://securitytracker.com/  They also have a commercial SERVICE that will
alert you when any alerts related to your LIST are posted, if you don't
want to manage cvechecker or your own scripts.

There are also some interesting projects, like inotify (
http://inotify.aiken.cz/) but if you don't have root access, you are not
going to be able to apt-get/yum install much.

Whatever open ports you serve to the PUBLIC MUST be IDS/IPS protected at
all times - on a small scale, that can be IPTABLES for SYN and/or
mod_security; and your monitoring might include such great projects as
suricata (with libhtp) that use the snort detection files (since that
project has been purchased by Cisco) and actually works well using memory
quite differently.

The bottom line is you must take security responsibility and I expect that
greater liability will be levied for sites/owners that fail to do so in the
future.