CentOS 7 and BIND

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Nov 20 17:49:49 MST 2014

What do the logs say?

Linux is just like a good domestic or business partner, in that it whines
very clearly to tell you about problems and issues....

So, bind will usually not start if it cannot load any of the conf files.
Please post the logs.

And/or show us:

ls -lF /etc/named* /var/run/
rpm -V caching-nameserver
cat /etc/sysconfig/named

ls -laZ /etc/named.conf /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

You could try turning off SELINUX just as a test and see if she starts
(although I would not run a bind server without SELINUX enabled)?

You could also enter:
restorecon /etc/named.conf

But it might also be an indication of a wider issue with SELINUX (fixed as
follows):

touch /.autorelabel
reboot

I would just relabel and reboot - should come right up?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Anthony Radzykewycz <
anthony.radzykewycz at gatewaycc.edu> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>     I am trying to get a DNS/DHCP server up and running using CentOS 7. I
> have modified the /etc/named.conf file and created the zone files. I
> attempt to start the named service with 'systemctl start named,' and it
> fails. Upon investigating 'systemctl status named.service,' it shows that
> BIND will not start. BIND is installed on the system. I read quite a few
> forums to no avail. Some were saying that the issue is with the bind-chroot
> package (which I re-installed), another stated that it was SElinux (I ran
> 'restorecon /etc/named.conf' 'touch /.autorelabel' 'reboot'). That also did
> not resolve the issue. Does anyone have an idea as to why BIND will not
> start?
> Anthony Radzykewycz

(503) 754-4452
(623) 239-3392