fragmentation on a USB drive

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Sun May 25 20:36:51 MST 2014

On a direct access drive such as compact flash or SSD fragmentation is not
relevant as there is no real seek time like there is on a conventional
spinning platter drive. and in the case of flahs and SSD media can
dramatically reduce the life of the drive.

Some addditional reading:
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/03/should-you-defragment-a-ssd/

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Harold <iscreamkid at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Fragmentation is a function of the characteristics of the operating
> system.
> I can't see how a difference in the media will affect it one way or the
> other.
>
> On the other hand, solid state drives sometimes have a setup that writes
> to different portions of the media when it is writing.
> This spreads the writes around to different portions of the device so the
> wear is not all in the same spot.
>
> Harold
>

> On 05/25/2014 05:40 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
> Is this something we need to be concerned about if we format the drive FAT
> or NTFS?

Stephen