Cox Data Usage Notification

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue May 13 11:36:51 MST 2014

Am 13. Mai, 2014 schwätzte Michael Butash so:

moin moin,

Tempe is sitting on a bunch of fiber. Maybe google is negotiating for
access to that.

I believe the fiber is mostly just in the downtown area. Tempe was putting
in fiber as part of construction contracts years ago. I don't know if
they've continued that practice.

ciao,

der.hans

> I'm curious to see the logistics of a company trying to move in and retrofit
> a city for something like fiber.  There's a reason there's really 2 players,
> cox and $mini-bell, they built before things were covered in concrete. I've
> worked for cox and seen that cities can take months to return permits
> (mesa/tempe was the worst) for any construction, which will be required amass
> to deliver anything like that.
>
> New areas will always be prioritized, but for most of phoenix that is
> land-locked and built already, it doesn't mean much for expediency to get
> their google fiber in-town to incumbent areas with tons of dead-weight
> bureaucrats to sit on the permit orders waiting for a pension to kick in.
>
> More competition is better, but I don't think cox is immediately worried with
> shielded coax delivering gigabit speeds soon (plus they are looking to
> replace coax with fiber too), and centurylink is in the same boat as google
> needing to replace dated 2-wire infrastructure with fiber as DSL is hitting
> its limits for year.
>
> If they're smart, they'll work off of each other and just get us composite
> dwdm to our houses at some point.  PON networks seem a bit janky still after
> having built real transport networks.
>
> -mb
>

> On 05/13/2014 10:48 AM, Stephen Partington wrote:
>> A vpn will make the usage anonymous, but not give you more or less.
>>
>> And Google fiber is why my move is specifically staying in Tempe :-)

#  If determining good culture is left up to busybodies and politicians,
#  we will be left with culture fit only for busybodies and politicians.
#                                                -- Jeff Taylor, Reason