Cox Data Usage Notification

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue May 13 11:07:08 MST 2014

I'm curious to see the logistics of a company trying to move in and
retrofit a city for something like fiber.  There's a reason there's
really 2 players, cox and $mini-bell, they built before things were
covered in concrete. I've worked for cox and seen that cities can take
months to return permits (mesa/tempe was the worst) for any
construction, which will be required amass to deliver anything like that.

New areas will always be prioritized, but for most of phoenix that is
land-locked and built already, it doesn't mean much for expediency to
get their google fiber in-town to incumbent areas with tons of
dead-weight bureaucrats to sit on the permit orders waiting for a
pension to kick in.

More competition is better, but I don't think cox is immediately worried
with shielded coax delivering gigabit speeds soon (plus they are looking
to replace coax with fiber too), and centurylink is in the same boat as
google needing to replace dated 2-wire infrastructure with fiber as DSL
is hitting its limits for year.

If they're smart, they'll work off of each other and just get us
composite dwdm to our houses at some point.  PON networks seem a bit
janky still after having built real transport networks.

-mb