CentOS 6.x and CentOS 7 upgrade path and testing PHP on current and future versions.

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Wed May 7 07:46:40 MST 2014

Hi Keith,

I have solid word from Red Hat that each minor rev to their major
releases are 100% binary compatible, and yes, they lock the version
numbers for the entire release.  If you look at the RH version numbers,
you'll see something like this:
     5.3.3-27.el6_5
Everything after the dash is Red Hat's patch.  So even after they
backport a fix, the version (5.3.3) remains the same, but the patch
number increases.  So in this case, this is the 27th Red Hat patch to
PHP 5.3.3.

I had fun with that when this high-falutin' Washington DC Beltway Bandit
risk assessment team came rolling in to do an assessment. They grabbed
the SSL banner (0.9.8 something) off some web servers and called an OMG
emergency meeting with the system administrators and management about
why we're running outdated versions of Apache and SSL.  After they
presented their "findings" they all looked at me, and I said flatly "We
don't use Apache here.  We use IHS." (IBM HTTP Server - based on Apache,
but with IBM secret sauce.) You could have heard a pin drop as they
huddle and whisper and look silly.  Yeah, that was fun.  They hate me.
They should have done their research and asked a couple questions
first.  Oh well. Then I had to research the SSL thing and show the Red
Hat Errata demonstrating the "old" version of SSL was patched against
known vulnerabilities.

As far as Centos and RHEL, I don't know why you assume CentOS would be a
year or two later than RHEL.  This article indicates CentOS will be
tightly coupled and more fluid than RHEL:
http://www.zdnet.com/red-hat-reveals-centos-plans-7000027812/
"However, there's a firewall between RHEL and CentOS developers. The net
effect is that CentOS will continue to lag a bit behind RHEL in
releases. Even so, CentOS releases will be coming out on RHEL heels
rather than weeks or months behind."

I'm amused that you are trying to plan 6-10 years out in the IT field.
</sarcasm>

Regards,

George Toft