CentOS 6.x and CentOS 7 upgrade path and testing PHP on current and future versions.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 10:23:50 MST 2014

Hi,

I want to test some PHP code on future versions of PHP / MySql / MariaDB.

I'm running CentOS 6.5 that installs php 5.3.3-27 which is at it's end of life.  It is my understanding RHEL 6.x will always be using PHP 5.3.  Is that correct?  RHEL will be supported until Nov of 2020.  That is a long time to be running a PHP version that is at end of life.  I understand RH will back port any bug or security fixes to PHP 5.3 (which actually breaks the version numbering system).

It is my understanding RHEL will be based on Fedora 19.  I am downloading Fedora 19 now. I assume testing on Fedora 19 will get me in the ball park for RHEL 7.   RHEL 7 will come with MariaDB as it's default DB.  I assume I will not see RHEL 7 in the form of CentOS 7 for year or two?

I assume there will be several more releases of RHEL 6 since it will be supported for over 6 more years.

If I plan to stay with CentOS 6.x and if it will use the same MySql and PHP versions until end of life and if RHEL/CentOS 7 will be based on Fedora 19, I assume that is the only configurations I need to test on and I assume that will take me through 6 to 10 years.  Is this a fair expectation and a valid plan?

Any feed back and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Keith