Need Help With Slightly Borked Debian Testing System

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Mar 4 10:36:45 MST 2014

It sounds like your upgrade didn't finish and has left your computer
broken.  I believe all you need to do is get your system to complete
it's upgrade and all will be well again.

I would definitely try using apt-get... try "apt-get -f install" to
start and see if it will fix any of the missing packages.  Then follow
that with and "apt-get dist-upgrade" to hopefully finish the upgrade.

You might find that the dependencies are in a state that you will have
to hand install and/or downgrade certain packages using dpkg to get the
system back into a place where apt can pick up and finish the install.
If you haven't done an apt-get clean or aptitude clean recently then you
will likely find older and newer versions of packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives/ have can be fed to dpkg.

I also recommend ditching aptitude.  Years ago it looked like it was
going to take over for apt but it never did.  In fact many of the
utilities that switched to aptitude switched back to apt.  I've found
that I tended to break systems quite often when I used aptitude but apt
remained solid and has since picked up the majority of extra features
that aptitude used to has.

Brian