Useless and meaningless rant about my hate for Linux Mint...

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Jun 22 10:30:19 MST 2014

The most common thing I see done to save money with Linux is build a
router or firewall with an old computer.  The problem I have with that
is the computer's power costs will exceed the cost of a band new router
within just a month or two.  Even if you specifically want to run a full
copy of Linux and need more computing power than what you will get from
a home router you can get any one of the ARM based boards that are
around these days and they will sip power compared to an old computer
quickly paying for their additional cost.

You have to think of long term cost benefit.  All too often I see
programmers tell me they pick a particular language because it's quick
and easy for them, adding "Computers are so fast these days they have
CPU and memory to burn"  They don't think about the tens of thousands of
computers that are going to run their code and how much extra power they
are going to eat in order to run it because the programmer was lazy.
This country has had to build whole power plants to supply additional
capacity for lazy programmers.

I think thats enough random, yet oddly similar themed, thoughts for this
message.

Brian Cluff