Useless and meaningless rant about my hate for Linux Mint...

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Jun 22 07:09:33 MST 2014

It is amazing - the transformation of computers since my first exposure
in 1983.  My first experience was intro to computers - Fortran
programming using punch cards.  It was 1985 before I saw a full screen
editor.  In 1986 I bought a Commodore 64 that had 64kb of RAM.  It was
plenty powerful to automate book keeping and other useful stuff.  In 87
I bought an 8088 with an upgrade to 640kb of RAM.  It had two disk
drives, a 14" monochrome monitor, and a 300 baud modem.  I acquired a
copy of dBaseIII and I was having the time of my life.  The next year I
bought a 20MB HD.  I thought I had arrived.

I am a purist in so may ways.  I struggle with the business vs purist
approach.  I've argued in the past that it is better to spend $50 more a
month on hardware than it is to spend hours each month trying to make
something more efficient.  From a truly business stand point it is more
efficient to make up the difference by spending a little more on
hardware than man hours.

Case in point.  I am a lamp dev.  I am looking at Drupal for a future
project. Most would consider Drupal bloatware.  I think at a minimum it
is a recourse hog.  If all things were equal I would rather build the
app from scratch and make it as efficient as I can. The interesting
thing is I might be able to get Drupal to do what I want in half the
time. That equates to a lot of savings.  The cost will be that it will
require a server that cost $50 more a month.

It amazes me the amount of power it takes to run modern apps. My main
box is an i5 with 8GB of RAM.  That is a lot of power.  I assume it will
be viable for 7 - 10 years.  Maybe in it's latter life it will not be my
primary workstation, however it surely could be a test server or
something along those lines.

On the other hand it amazed me when I was able to build a mail server
running Centos 5 and Qmailtoaster on an old laptop running a 1Ghz
Celeron w/ 256MB of RAM.