Need Help with Debian Networking

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Jun 20 20:45:24 MST 2014

I've noticed weird issues depending on the version of network-manager
managing the connections.  Since you're using the interfaces file, it's
specifically not managing it, which usually comes with the benefit of
conflicting default gateway routes and other fun errata.

It looks like you have two different dhcp pools, one that is feeding the
local gateway as a dns resolver, and another that is passing down the
external cox dhcp dns servers there too.  Does your router do some kind
of "dmz" config or anything for wireless, like a guest lan config?  They
sometimes do wonky bridging scenarios between vlans locally to segment
traffic for some guise of security, could be causing this as well.

Pay attention to which interface is bound to which routes.  The default
route on a given interface will be used for internet traffic regardless,
and I've seen ubuntu/nm install dual defaults on dhcp that break the
hell out of everything between wifi and wireless - make sure you only
have one default route.

-mb