linux from scratch

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jul 21 22:53:40 MST 2014

Michael,

You need the correct name of the package for the installer to find it.

When you need to find correct package names, go to
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages on the Debian web
site. Search for package names, or names of files that are in packages. It
will give you a list of packages and you can click on them to see a
description of the package, the dependencies, all the files in a package,
etc.

For example, if I search on the package name libgmp in all distributions of
Debian (ie testing, experimental, stable, etc.) there are 18 packages with
the characters 'libgmp' in the name. But there is no package libgmp. There
are packages libgmp-dev, libgmp-doc, etc. You can pick the one you want
according to your distribution, then use apt-get install with the correct
package name.

libmpfr.a is a file in the package libmpfr-dev. libmpc.a is a file in the
libmpc-dev package. I didn't find libmpfr.la or libmpc.la as file names in
any packages.

You need to set up your sources.list to specify the distribution you are
running: stable, testing, experimental, etc. Then the installer (apt-get in
your case) will find the package you want in the distribution you are using.

Take a look at
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html to learn
about the Debian package management system.

Mark