Why did my Linux Mint system crash?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Jan 14 21:45:55 MST 2014

Yours sounds a bit similar to a situation I had.

I had happened to on a m1330 dell laptop with an defective batch of
nvidia 9000-series gpus that were popping off the bga on the mobo.
Linux would do that to me, basically hit gdm, login, and when compiz
kicked in and composited the desktop against the gpu, it would lock or
just throw crazy colors on the lcd.  I could run it in "classic" at the
time without compiz, which would work, which didn't call the gpu.  Had
to rma the mobo under an extended warranty because of the gpu after some
research.

Why I'd mentioned the gpu.  If integrated, you're screwed, if not, try a
different card.  I find gpu's die in ugly ways, not always apparent, and
I've seen linux get wonky with a few on my desktop before I get annoyed
to attempt to rule it out.

-mb