openGL probglem

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 14:11:38 MST 2014

$ /sbin/lspci | grep VGA
bash: /sbin/lspci: No such file or directory]
bmike1 at PresarioLapTop1:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]
 as for xorg.conf.... there is none. there is an xorg.conf.fglrx-0 .
the contents of it are:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

I had tried to upgrade my video driver. there is an
xorg.conf.original.... the contents of which are "no xorg.conf file
existed when this backup was made" Should I rename xorg.conf.fglrx-0
to xorg.conf?

On 1/6/14, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:
> On 2014-01-06 10:59, Michael Havens wrote:
>>   XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
>>   Install an appropriate graphics driver.
>> this suggests I uninstalled the driver because it WAS working. how
>> did that happen? what should I install?
>
> The error message above means that the appropriate X module and kernel
> module for your video card is either not installed or not configured
> properly.  What does "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" tell you?  I get "00:02.0
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
> Chipset" on this old computer; old card but it can do some accelerated
> things with appropriate options.
>
> The vast majority of Intel, ATi, and nVidia graphics cards should have
> hardware-accelerated 3D available in some form or another.  nVidia cards
> are a bit more difficult IME, but all are possible, and 3D on Intel
> cards should be supported out of the box on just about any distro.
>
> It would also be useful to see your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity
> But only Light too dim for us to see.