openGL probglem

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 6 13:16:38 MST 2014

On 2014-01-06 10:59, Michael Havens wrote:
>   XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
>   Install an appropriate graphics driver.
> this suggests I uninstalled the driver because it WAS working. how
> did that happen? what should I install?

The error message above means that the appropriate X module and kernel
module for your video card is either not installed or not configured
properly.  What does "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" tell you?  I get "00:02.0
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
Chipset" on this old computer; old card but it can do some accelerated
things with appropriate options.

The vast majority of Intel, ATi, and nVidia graphics cards should have
hardware-accelerated 3D available in some form or another.  nVidia cards
are a bit more difficult IME, but all are possible, and 3D on Intel
cards should be supported out of the box on just about any distro.

It would also be useful to see your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity