OT: Managing a Contact List

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Wed Feb 12 12:49:20 MST 2014

1) If you are managing the list for the group - then go with an LDAP server
- let me know if you are going to share the contacts 8)
2) The most flexible format is likely vCard as that can be consumed by the
most different clients/services. Sharing would also be the easiest with
a web server, a carddav server or any of the file server services (many of
which are free - if your contacts are public). Like Github.

3) The most modern would use the semantic web - create FOAF files for your
contacts (much like vCard) and either present them like files or  set up an
RDF store and publish a SPARQL endpoint. If you run KDE, you already
are running Virtuoso for Nepomuk - others include Jena, Sesame (openrdf)
and 4store among many others.

If these are PLUG contacts, maybe the website can work with a LDAP backend
- I don't know if having a roster complies with PLUGs anarchistic
culture.....