Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Dec 22 23:27:28 MST 2014

When switching distros, there is often a thousand tiny differences to get
used to.  Some distros like CentOS are really great as servers but make
less desirable desktops.  Others like Fedora are just the opposite.   In
the Ubuntu world, they separate desktop and server versons.  It helps to
learn the philosophy behind whatever distros you use before you start using
it... things may be different, but they will then make sense.

Ubuntu is, and for the foreseeable future, will be primarily a desktop
install base.  To that end, they make their desktop for grandma.  Servers
on the other hand are to support the desktops.  This differs from the RHEL
philosophy that came more from the old Unix style.  So where RHEL is about
centralization of network resources, Ubuntu is more about support of the
desktop (kinda Microsoft like).

What that means is this... RHEL in trying to centralize resources, defaults
to setting up home directories for users.  This is because they expect you
to be having central home directories.  In a well run RedHat setup, all
your home directories are on one server, and any other server is taking
their users from LA or AD.  But Ubuntu is about the desktop.  They expect
users to keep their files locally... again think Windows.  Now the server
does not need a directory for end users... they simply need access to
resources like the mail server via sendmail, or the Web server.  No local
accounts.

Neither way is wrong, just different.  But understanding the concepts
behind the distro helps to understand when you will need to adjust your
thinking.

In Ubuntu, add the -m switch to tell it to add your home directories.  You
will also need to turn on the feature to support public_html directories.
Ubuntu is expecting you to store files locally, Cent is expecting you to
store them publically.

Make more sense now?

Kevin