OT: Eclipse -vs- Titanium

Michael Torres matorres124 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:20:40 MST 2014

How is Google supporting Eclipse?  (unless its monetary)  Eclipse is Open
Source....the open source community will and should continue to develop the
IDE for compatability with the SDK jars that google creates.

1.0 did come out, correct. But its still in Alpha or Beta testing.  There
are quirks that the IDE does have that would drive some developers like me
crazy. Example, if I want to put an image in the hdpi src folder, then I
have to open my OS directory browser and paste it that way. In 1.0 you cant
copy and paste an image into the IDE. (at least on mine...Fedora 20).

Also, when adding a new Class to your application in AS, you have to
manually configure the maifest file (XML code) to add the class.  In
Eclipse, you still have to modify the manifest "file" but you can just
simply type the class name ".NewClass" and click save in the editor....Mush
faster.

I am sure that there are a lot more quirks in AS, but Eclipse is still my
best recommendation.

Also, from the looks of it, It looks like AS will have pretty much the same
"look and feel" of Eclipse, so when AS is ready for real use there
shouldn't be that much more to learn if you are used to Eclipse.

I personally think Android Studio will be a great tool for developing
android apps, But I believe also that Eclipse will continue to work

Mike