Using Dban

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:42:53 MST 2014

As I mentioned before, you need to reformat your drives before any of them
will mount.  You can do this with the gparted liveCD, or from a shell using
fdisk if you're ambitious.  In windows, you can reformat partitions if you
right-click on computer and select manage, then click on disk management in
the left window and it should show the drive as "unpartitioned space"
gparted is the easiest to use.

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> On 2014-12-14 11:00, Todd Millecam wrote:
>
>> $~  for i in `seq 10` ; do dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda && dd
>> if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda ; done
>>

> This will work, but it will take days.  /dev/random is a
> super-high-quality random device, and it will run out of super-high-quality
> random bits very quickly and wait for multiple seconds to generate more
> from various entropy sources.  You probably want to do this instead:
>
> for i in `seq 10` ; do
>   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=32k
>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=32k
>   done
>
> /dev/urandom is much much faster, though its randomness is not as
> guaranteed.  Using a bs= on the dd command is also a good idea as it
> defaults to a bs of 512 bytes.
>
>  Dban or wipe will do all this for you, but you can do it yourself.
>>

> Yes.  And if you do it yourself from a shell, you know exactly what's
> going on and can use the computer for other stuff while you're erasing
> whichever disk you wanted to erase....
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity