Bind / server questions

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 9 22:46:17 MST 2014

You say Add nameserver(s) to your resolv.conf  meaning ns1.domain.tld
ns2.domain.tld - one line?

Looks like the custom name servers are configured correctly and set at
my host.

nslookup says:

Server:         127.0.1.1
Address:        127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find www.domain.tld: No answer

---
nmap using domain:

sudo nmap -sT -O www.domain.tld

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-12-09 22:29 MST
Failed to resolve "www.domain.tld".
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 20.31 seconds

---

try with IP:

keith at host-name:~ > sudo nmap -sT -O xx.xx.xx.xx

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-12-09 2:30  MST
Nmap scan report for host.domain.tld (xx.xx.xx.xx)
Host is up (0.0063s latency).
Not shown: 997 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
80/tcp  open  http
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see
http://nmap.org/submit/ ).
TCP/IP fingerprint:

---

I configured nat for 80 - which works by IP, and port 53.

I verified my router has NAT for port 53 enabled.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!!

On 2014-12-09 21:48, Jon Ernster wrote:
> You need to change the nameserver(s) of the domain at (insert domain
> registrar here) to point to the nameserver(s) of your BIND setup.
>  nslookup will return the correct IP address from your BIND machine
> if you added the /etc/hosts line.  May need to open up port TCUP/UDP
> 53 for the external IP address if you have a router.  Add
> nameserver(s) to your resolv.conf
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Note I have a Cox business account that allows me to run a server
>> and I have a private IP.
>>
>> Installed Bind, setup zones... ect.  When I go to the site using
>> the domain, it says server not found.  If I enter the IP given me
>> by Cox into the browser I see the home page. nslookup returns the
>> proper IP and the FQDN - I'm guessing that means Bind is configured
>> correctly?
>>
>> I added a line  "xx.xx.xx.xx donain.tld" to the /etc/hosts file.
>> I used the IP given me by Cox.  Is that correct?
>>
>> I added a line "search domain.tld" to /etc/resolv.conf .  Is this
>> correct?
>>
>> Anything else I should be checking?
>>
>> Thank you for your help!!
>>
>> --