FTTH Areas

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Dec 4 22:28:39 MST 2014

I said this on-list a bit ago (if not my advice, glad you found it), as
they've been under migration of spectrum.

Without getting too geeky, as they remove old services (like analog
video) and move things around to align better, they are making use of
more channels, where more channels == more bandwidth (btw, same as
wireless using channel-bonding).  Today is 4 down I think for 3.0 @
38mbps/channel, but they're going 24-channel's down on the new 3.1 cards
that are getting to to those theoretical gigabit speeds tomorrow.  Fios,
meh.  It's coming down to who has better peering to the rest of the
internet.

For instance, interestingly enough, apparently Cox made the news a few
weeks ago when they tried to migrate to local peering vs. out LA or
Dallas for regional peering, and saturated connectivity with not enough
bandwidth (only 80gb, cheap bastards) to most anything that didn't
already have local peering with them established  (ie. google and other
paying preferred friends).  Net neutrality hard at work, we'll see if
they get it right next time.

At least they're feeding your beast, or rather thirst for bandwidth.

-mb