Why have HackFests been Dropped from the PLUG Schedule?

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 2 11:42:16 MST 2014

I know I have shared this before.  I used to live in Tucson and attended
The Free Unix Group (TFUG) meetings.  I have been on that list since
1999.  Great group of people.  They were always willing to help.
Interestingly the core groups are very skilled Unix professionals who
need no help at all.

Several times during the early days there were discussions about
creating a formal organization.  We even met one time to discuss it.  In
the end it was desired that the best organization was not to organize at
all - no structure.  TFUG still prospers with the help of a couple of
the members that volunteer to maintain the list and website.  Not sure
who owns the domain, however it does keep getting renewed.

I understand the desire to create a 501c3.  I also understand that PLUG
is doing a great job due to a handful of volunteers.

The handwriting is on the wall - PLUG will probably continue the way it
has been for sometime into the future.

Thank you, everyone, for your help and support throughout the years.

On 2014-12-02 12:23, der.hans wrote:
> Am 02. Dez, 2014 schwätzte JD Austin so:
>
> moin moin JD,
>
>> I'm a lurker on this list and haven't had time to go to an actual plug
>> meeting in years so take my input as you may... that said PLUG should
>> take
>> these issues seriously because these are the kinds of issues that tear
>> apart organizations.
>
> We do take claims of discrimination seriously.
>
>> When people take the time to cite specific examples and tell you that
>> they
>> feel a negative bias towards them the wrong response is to deny their
>> feelings are valid.  A major problem most clubs/organizations have
>> unless
>
> We are not denying feelings. However, we have definitely had false
> claims
> made on list. False accusations are also destructive to a group.
>
>> they make a concerted effort not to be is that overtime they get
>> cliquish
>> and non-inclusive; unless an effort is made not to do so long time
>> members
>> start to feel and act as if it is their organization and can seem like
>> dictators to new people.  I haven't been involved enough in PLUG to
>> know if
>
> The issue is that a few people have joined and demanded to become
> dictators telling PLUG what PLUG should do. We don't want a hostile
> takeover. If they want to dictate how a group is organized, then they
> need
> to create their own group.
>
> If someone joins a long-established Free Software project's mailing
> list,
> that person should not feel entitled to dictate how the Free Software
> project is run or what code should be allowed.
>
> Those who join and help are actively welcomed and encouraged. Some of
> our
> best volunteers have only been around for a couple of years. They found
> ways to make a positive difference.
>
>> that is happening here but the emails flying around right now make it
>> sound
>> like it could be that way.  I've seen these kinds of issues destroy
>> groups
>> before; I'm sure I'm not the only person that has no desire to be a
>> group
>> that discriminates against women or any other body of people.
>> Linux is for everyone and has the most diversity of any operating
>> system I
>> know.
>
> Free Software is a diversity enabler. That's one of the things I love
> about Free Software.
>
> As an example, I just received a request to help create an
> accessibility
> session. Off to do something positive.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans