Save me from MythTV.

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Fri Aug 29 15:55:32 MST 2014

On 08/29/2014 09:50 AM, Matt Birkholz wrote:
> Given the example of Tivo, THIS is how Myth schedules?  They lost me.

I have 2 Tivos, and I have dumped both of them in favor of my MythTV.
Of course I use dedicated machines running the graphical frontend so my
experience is a bit different than the way you are running it.  I'm
guessing that with your new purchase of schedules direct that you will
be able to just tell it to record shows by title and be done with it.
The really nice thing is that Myth remembers all the shows your have
ever watch and won't record them again unless told to do so. So unlike
tivo it won't re-record old shows over again after a few months when it
forget that it recorded it already.

> Thanks for the pointer.  I am subscribing right now.  I paid more than
> that for the LxMsuite.com service 90 years (9 years) ago, but it was
> eventually abused to death.  Here's hoping the headaches of running
> schedulesdirect.com are well compensated.

A few years ago if was possible to get the same service for free from
Zap2it by just answering a couple of survey questions a year... they
were really basic questions too like "How much do you like SciFi", but
like you said, people eventually abused it and started selling
pre-installed mythtv machines tied to free accounts.  Thankfully the
Myth guys started schedulesdirect and sell access to it at cost.

Brian Cluff