Save me from MythTV.

Friar Puck puck at birchwood-abbey.net
Thu Aug 28 16:05:21 MST 2014

I bought a gigabit switch and cables so I could shift 6G video
recordings out of MythWeb in a minute or so.  At the time Totem/
MythWeb would not seek past the commercials BUT with gigabit ethernet
I could download an episode faster than I could pee.  And gxine
blasted through the commercial breaks.

I recently found (in Ubuntu 14.04) that Totem/MythWeb had got their
crap together sometime in the last decade and could now seek in a
stream like a... an amateur... working 90% of the time.  Nice!  (But
when I will pee?)

This abbey's budget for boob tube is VERY close to $0.000, so I have
been making "do" with the listings transmitted over the air.
(They are actually all I [am permitted to] want.)  Until recently.

Recently (since I switched to Ubuntu 14.04) Myth does not offer to
schedule recordings weekly.  I am afraid this is because so few
broadcasters manage to transmit more than the next week's programming,
some not even 24 hours'!  If the developers lost sight of those of
us who will not scrape listings off unsuspecting websites, maybe they
assume a show that does not repeat even once in their (2 week?  4
week?) listings cannot be scheduled for weekly recording.

Or maybe Myth doinked itself during an upgrade and needs a complete
wipe and re-install.  Has anyone else noticed this problem?  My
"Schedule Options" are "Don't record...", "Record only this...", "Find
and record one..." and "Record at any time...".  There is no "weekly"
option, nor "daily" now that I think of it... perhaps more missing.

Or maybe now is the time to switch.  Can anyone recommend something
that might substitute for MythWeb?

Specifically I would like to collect the broadcast listings, do some
Tivo-like config-free fuzzy-matching on them, and schedule, perform
and serve the recordings.  I have a solid Silicon Dust HDHomerun but
if that is not compatible I have an alms bowl and I can eventually get
whatever.

No SDL-based front-ends please!  If it interacts poorly with a mouse,
it interacts poorly.  A GNOME desktop app. would be optimal.

And while I'm babbling: Are there any other techno-monks out there
getting "free HDTV for life"(!) from Mr.Antenna?  Aren't the ads
hilarious?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMtN4fwWDKU

Maybe it is just me.