Installfest matters

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Aug 19 18:35:58 MST 2014

Just to add my two cents to the non-profit discussion. I set up a 501c3
corporation over 10 years ago for my daughters' club softball teams. I was
the head coach and president of the corporation. I had a lawyer help with
the application as probono work....I downloaded the application from the
IRS, filled it out, asked the attorney a few questions, he reviewed the
final application, and the IRS approved it. I kept the books in gnucash and
filed the annual tax forms myself....a few reports from gnucash and some
electronic filings with the state and IRS. I had three teams and over $45K
in annual donations, so it was not that small of an operation. It was easy.
It is amazing what one can learn by just reading the IRS handouts. I did
not need a CPA or attorney after the initial filing with the IRS. I also
haven't been audited or sent to jail for my 501c3. I am also not a CPA or
attorney...just an engineer with an MBA. I think there is a certain mystic
about non-profit organizations that is just not true. It is not that big of
a deal. You need three officers, just like any other AZ corporation to get
started.

I am not volunteering to set up the non-profit, nor do I have an opinion
whether PLUG should be a non-profit or not. I am just saying that from my
personal experience, it is not as scary and difficult to setup and run a
non-profit as part of this discussion is making it out to be.

Mark