Installfest matters

Tue Aug 19 13:53:32 MST 2014

There are ongoing costs to being a non-profit. You do have to file taxes
every year. I believe in the past that was not so if you were not having
a certain amount of funds running through your accounts. Additionally,
the board, or officers, are responsible for the accuracy of those taxes
and the compliance of the organization which should not ever be overlooked.

I would not say its a good thing or a bad thing. I would say it is a
good thing if you have a bunch of corporate donors lined up to provide
significant funding to some of the plug activities. If you are speaking
of a $100 here or there (under $1k/year), I would say that it is a waste
of time becoming a non-profit.

You will have to have money to maintain the following...
1. CPA for tax season,
2. Lawyer (mostly for initial filings, but also for organization),
3. Commercial bank account (banks charge for those things).

This is my 2 cents only. I was once on the board of a charitable
organization that failed. It was a lot of work and I always had concerns
about money mismanagement.

Gilbert