/etc/hosts not routing

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Aug 17 19:55:41 MST 2014

Hi,

I am running Mint 17 KDE.  I have another box configured as a LAMP
server with each domain having a TLD of dev. I usually add a line for
each of he vhosts into the /etc/hosts file and it has worked for years.
Yesterday I moved from Kubuntu to Mint and now that is not working.

I added a line domain.dev 192.168.xx.xx into the /etc/hosts file for
several dev domains and I cannot reach them in the browser so I tried to
ping them with ping domain.dev and that failed.  I can ping the LAMP dev
box with it's IP.

I have used the hosts file in this way for maybe 7 years in both Win and
Linux without an issue until now.

A search of Google shows others have had the same issue.  I was unable
to find a solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Keith