Laptop Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Aug 13 09:00:16 MST 2014

I forgot to mention in my first post that I don't want the touchscreen and
consider it a waste of money. But I do want the higher horsepower and RAM
for development work and visualization of Windows. I gave up dual booting a
long time ago. I have been a long time Dell user, and have found the
hardware to last a long time and work well with Linux. I know many people
disagree, but my experience with Dell has been great over the past 10+
years.

Oh, I also need a backlit keyboard....I am surprised not all high end
laptops have them.

I need great graphics for gaming....have to keep up with my middle daughter
who is really very good....;) I believe the card in the XPS 15 is better
suited for gaming. So I need to run Windows in vmware player to compete
with her online.....my old dual core Vostro 1520 struggles to keep up, the
fan goes crazy and it get rather warm. Hence my original question about
heat.....I don't need another toaster on my desk!

Thanks for the Aleinware recommendation.....a longer battery life is far
more important than the touch screen!! I will look into them.

I really don't want to carry around a 17" screen....and 13" is getting too
small for my older eyes, so I am looking at 15" screens. I use an external
monitor on my desk.

I also had a recommendation to look at EmperorLinux machines. Anyone have
any experience with these laptops?

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!

Mark