OT: Wanted: Android App Developer $??? Reward

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:12:34 MST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: techlists at phpcoderusa.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:16:26 -0700
Subject: Re: OT: Wanted: Android App Developer $??? Reward ...

Your CIO example was not lost on me.  I get it.  I'm focusing on the market
and how it effects my ability to make a living as a freelance developer.
 For me it is about demand/compensation, is the projected life cycle long
enough to make it worth while making the necessary investment of time to
become competent, and is it something I really would like to do.

It is kind of like a personal hedgehog -

1) what are you passionate about?
2) what can you be the best at?
3) does it drive your economic engine?

I would add two more
4) is the projected life cycle long enough to reasonably recoup one's
investment to become competent?
5) is the barrier to entry low enough to make the transition worth while?

I'm sure you can add a couple more.

On 2014-08-04 16:59, David Schwartz wrote:

> Back in the 80’s, M$ was just another compiler vendor, one of several.
> And they weren’t even considered the best.
>
> It has been estimated that their software development tools division
> alone would rank as a Fortune 100 business entity. But they actually
> receive very little direct revenues because they get subsidized by
> other divisions. Today they exist mainly because they drove everybody
> else out of business. It’s hard to compete as a compiler vendor when
> M$ gives a company free dev tools if their CIO agrees to buy a huge
> bundle of database and OS technology.
>
> The fact that Delphi still exists is amazing in its own right. And it
> will be around for quite a while because the Veterans Administration
> has one of the largest installed bases of Delphi software in America,
> if not in the world, that’s still under active development — and it
> would be horribly expensive to replace with M$ technology (although
> some does exist).
>
> If the VA ever releases any mobile apps, there’s a very good chance
> they’ll be built with Delphi.
>
> Because of this relationship with the VA, Delphi has a rather unusual
> affinity with medical software developers.
>
> My earlier point seems to have been missed … if you’re a CIO on a
> tight budget and you REALLY want to SAVE MONEY, then it simply makes
> no sense to ignore AppMethod or RAD Studio today.
>
> You cannot talk about either Android or iOS development assuming
> there’s only one option any more. Android is _mainly_ Java, while iOS
> is _mainly_ Objective-C. But AppMethod/RAD Studio supports both, and
> now Swift supports iOS.
>
> Also don’t ignore the fact that we’re starting to see Android running
> on Intel architectures now, which is going to open them up to non-Java
> tool stacks as well. (Some of the latest low-end Acer tablets run
> KitKat on Intel CPUs.)
>
> Personally, I see the potential for much more heterogeneity in terms
> of development tools for both Android and iOS going forward than we’ve
> seen in Windows, if for no other reason than one company does NOT
> control both of them. M$ couldn’t persuade any major phone companies
> to use their OS, so they simply bought what was for a long time the
> market leader. I have no idea what they plan to do with Nokia, but M$
> currently has less than 5% of the mobile platform market; perhaps
> Nokia can get them to 10%.
>
> Getting back to that CIO again, now he’s going to be faced hiring yet
> ANOTHER developer to work with ANOTHER dev stack for Nokia’s hardware.
>
> That’s now $300k for 3 people using “free” tools vs. $100k and a
> single $5k tool.
>
> Something’s gotta give. Free tools are simply NOT an economical model
> for companies that MUST have a presence on ALL MOBILE PLATFORMS!
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 4, 2014, at 3:58 PM, techlists at phpcoderusa.com wrote:
>

>> It all makes sense to me.  As for the individual, I still wonder what the
> [...]

[Message clipped]  View entire message
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=4622540777&view=om&th=147a78ae736b2ef4>

The index at the top of the digest indicated that there was a second thread
started in this digest, but as you can see above, the digest was clipped
before ever getting to the second subject, so I can only guess at what the
contents might have been.

Mike

--
"Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein