OT: Wanted: Android App Developer $??? Reward ...

Paul Mooring paul at getchef.com
Sun Aug 3 17:14:59 MST 2014

This is a probably a longer and more involved conversation than you think.
There's a few primary factors in supply and demand for app developers:

1. Native vs HTML

  There's a huge difference in the available supply of developers and
companies currently equipped to make an html5 site that plays nice with
both ios and android.  I think we're likely to see a proliferation of tools
like phonegap (http://phonegap.com/) and a slow down of native apps as html
apps eat that market share.  When you consider currently ios requires
objective-C and android Java, you have 2 languages with different tool
chains and a more involved development and release process competing
against a very well understood and super fast html/javascript ecosystem.
In my opinion html/js will eat the mobile dev community as quickly and
dominantly as it did for native Windows/OSX applications.

2. Expanding platforms

  Currently ios and android own the market, but with microsoft, mozilla,
ubuntu, etc. all getting into the mobile os game it's conceivable that the
overall market could keep growing without making android/java skills a
"must have".

3. Better native app tooling

  Writing full featured web applications 10 years ago was really hard.
Rails, Django, Laravel, etc. along with REST APIs and json revolutionized
how we build web services making it a whole lot easier.  Then much more
recently jquery followed by a million javascript frameworks did the same
for front ends.  If native android development keeps growing similar
tooling is sure to be built to drastically reduce the entrance barrier.

Overall I think it will become easier/cheaper/faster to build mobile apps,
but I sort of doubt that will manifest itself in the form of most
developers learning and rallying around Java and the Android API.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
Chef