Laptop configuration : Linux, VM... etc

John J. Macey jjmacey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:13:47 MST 2014

> Really?  Last year, I attempted to convert an older XP install running
> on a Thinkpad T42p to a virtual guest environment, following the
> vmware directions, and it failed miserably.  Then again, this was an
> XP box, and laptops have all kinds of odd things going on.

Todd,

I have had better luck with VirtualBox. In fact, I now run M$ 7
Ultimate, Backbox Linux, and Android using it. The secret, I believe, is
to d/l it directly from the Oracle VB Web Page. Then, I have used
bootup-manager (sudo apt-get install bum), then "sudo bum" to check that
VB is firing-up on boot.

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/jjmacey/media/snapshot8_zps49fc3073.png.html][IMG]http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w492/jjmacey/snapshot8_zps49fc3073.png[/IMG][/URL]

Another advantage of VB is that you can easily export your OS via .OVF
files.

I do also run VMware to virtualize, that other, OS (X). LOL!
Disadvantage there is, that I can not easily create a backup file, as is
the case with VB.

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/jjmacey/media/snapshot7_zpsa2cfafa6.png.html][IMG]http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w492/jjmacey/snapshot7_zpsa2cfafa6.png[/IMG][/URL]

John